Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pay It Forward: Reveal (at long last!)


Back a long (long) time ago, I signed up for Pay It Forward and for my trouble I got a beautiful 241 tote bag from Toni.  I subsequently posted and got my 3 people to make for - Michelle @ The Quilted Tortoise, Erin @ Billy Button Design and Deb @ Life on the Selvage Edge . So far, so good. But my pregnancy and all the issues I had put paid to my reaching my deadline for sending out my goodies late last year, and though I tried, I really couldn't find the energy to finish those projects. The 3 ladies were very understanding and gracious and as soon as I started to get some sewing energy back, I set to finishing their projects as one of my first priorities.

Michelle @ The Quilted Tortoise
Now that their gifts have been received, I can finally do a little reveal. Anyone following me on Instagram will have seen some of my pictures of these earlier in the year, so you can skip. But for anyone else who wants a little bit of eye candy, here are the 3 circles mug rugs that I hand quilted for my recipients.

Erin @ Billy Button Design
All were stitched using Perle Cotton #8. The pink/red ones used a single variegated thread. The blue used an aqua variegated thread, and a combination of a number of other blue shades to try to balance it a little.


These were made using a sew-along tutorial by Rachel of Contented and if you haven't tried hand quilting before, this is a fabulous project to start with - its very straightforward and the instructions are great, and you end up with a lovely mini quilt at the end. This is one of my go-to projects when I need something special - very enjoyable sewing and a big impact because of the ripple effect and texture of all the stitching. I hope my recipients enjoy them as much as I loved making them :-)

18 comments:

Di said...

They are lovely and no wonder that the ladies were pleased to wait. Di x

Kirsten said...

Love all of these - your hand quilting is just beautiful!

Judith, Belfast said...

Fab PIFs! Jxo

Annabella said...

Well if we are 'fessing up, I've just had to make 3 big fat apologies too!! I love your mug rugs - they are too good to use that's for sure :)

Katy Cameron said...

Very nice, they were worth waiting for :o)

Leanne said...

Those are lovely, I am sure that the recipients did not mind waiting at all.

jeifner said...

Sheesh these are gorgeous!! Such beautiful hand work and I love the fabrics you've picked. I'm sure they'll be beyond thrilled.

Mack and Mabel said...

I just love your hand quilting ;)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Totally gorgeous - I have mine on my 'to do list'!!

Susan said...

Your recipients will love them!

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Ladies . It's my Sunday best mug rug.... Hubby is not aloud to put anything on it😄. I love it! Thanks again Sarah

Rachael said...

Brilliant :) really pretty!!

Rachael

Toni said...

So beautiful, Sarah! Your stitching is so perfect. I'm sure the recipients were thrilled when they opened their packages!

Jessica Kelly said...

These look so great Sarah! Lucky pay it forward-ers!!

Rachel said...

They are lovely Sarah! I still get a little thrill when I see that someone has made one of these, and you do them so beautifully! Thanks for linking back to me!
Rachel x

Cindy said...

Oh wow!

Sarah said...

Lovely! Lucky pay it forwarders. I love the ripple effect quilting best.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

These were well worth the wait.