Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Long Overdue WIP Wednesday!




It's been 3 weeks since I posted a WIP Wednesday update. Despite it still being busy, despite evening games of football with the kids, a constant battle against the creeping intrusion of the sandpit into my kitchen, children who can't go to sleep until it gets dark at 10:30pm and a little evening away with my lovely hubbie at the weekend, I still managed to get lots done this week. I kind of suprised myself! So here goes:

Completed this week:

Box pouch and coin purse:


I'm going to make a couple more of these for my kid's preschool teachers for next week, they were so easy to make and so lovely finished! This project also got my sewing mojo back in action - nothing like a quick, easy and fun project to inspire!

Work in Progress:



All of a sudden I have a lot going on. I am at basting stage with this commissioned quilt based on my previous "Sophie's Dreams" quilt. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on names! I was going to name it after the little girl it's being made for but decided to go with "Summer Dreams" instead. After seeing how Becky quilted her Little Man quilt and how gorgeous it turned out, I think I might just steal that idea for quilting this one - hope you don't mind Becky? I reckon it will really work with this quilt!

I've finally got back to my Skittles quilt and have all the fabric cut for the quilt top. I also got the first 6 blocks made up:


This pattern uses the Stack n Slash method. At first, I got really confused sewing up the strips and was convinced I hadn't organised them correctly or had mixed up my layers of strips. Then about 1/3 of the way through, I suddenly "got" it and once I knew what I was doing, it was a breeze and I chain pieced the rest at top speed. I didn't manage to trim these blocks yet so the photo is a little messy, but you get the idea. There's another 3 fabrics to make up the next 6 blocks and then I need to make up another 12 the same as the first 12. I'm very excited about this one now.

I've another very important project going on which I'll tell you more about in a few weeks (*nothing like a bit of mystery, eh??*)

I finally got the blue fabrics I bought for Jennifer's Rainbow Charm swap in the post this evening - need to decide which one to use, cut it up and get back in the post before the end of the week. No pressure!!

I signed up for Elizabeth's Kaleidoscope Quiltalong (not being at all busy of course!)



Lastly, I signed up for Cindy's Japanese import fabric swap which is the first Irish fabric swap I've seen hosted - and I'm really excited about it. Its also open to people in the UK - I can't wait to receive my fabric. I'm always admiring the Japanese fabrics but find them a little pricey. This is such a great way to start a little stash of Japanese fabrics!

Fluffy Sheep Quilting

Ok - lots there despite the fact that I'm supposed to be taking it a bit easier! I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced with some super talented ladies!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

16 comments:

Katie B said...

I love your Skittles progress! I have that pattern too. I need to give it a try!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

LOL - of course I don't mind. I got the idea from someone else too! ;) I think it will look great quilted like that. And the best part - no tying off threads because you had to stop and start.

Lee said...

Those stack and slash blocks are very nice! And I love Summer Dreams. Such fabulous fabric choices. Thanks (in advance!) for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

CityHouseStudio said...

I love the skittles quilt so far, it's going to be awesome!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Fun, I love those Skittles blocks! That's a super fun pattern, I can't wait to see more :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Looking good!

Kylie Lloyd said...

I really like the stash and slash blocks.

Marg said...

I like your stack and slash blocks too.

Melinda said...

You've got a lot going on! Love Summer Dreams and the stack and slash blocks have me very interested to see where you're going to end up!

Cindy said...

Your Skittles blocks are lovely. I completely understand what you're saying...the minute you "got" it. You follow directions and they don't sit well for a long while until your brain finally makes what ever connection it needs to and CLICK all is well in the world.

Yea Japanese fabric swap! I am completely excited about the swap and I am so very glad you're joining in :)

Lynette said...

I haven't tried the stack and slash method. Your blocks look fun! And I *love* the box pouch. :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your Skittles blocks are super cute. I have that pattern but haven't tried it. And your little box pouch is adorable!

Rebecca said...

Oh, I need to get on the teacher's gifts too ~ love yours!

Karen said...

I love your skittles blocks - I'm a huge fan of central park and the Stack n Slash method sounds very rough and ready - right up my street, can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm doing the kaleidoscope QAL too! :o)

Leanne said...

These are great! Your new quilt is looking interesting, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Marsha Cooper said...

The pouch and cute are very cute!